HMS Duke of York

King George V (Class Overview)
John Brown & Co.
Clydebank, Scotland
Pennant Number:
April 28, 1937
November 4, 1941
Keel Laid:
May 5, 1937
Paid Off :
February 28, 1940

Sold for scrap to Shipbreaking Industries and scraped in Faslane, Scotland in 1958.

Dimensions, machinery and performance (design standard for class)
4 Parsons single reduction geared steam turbines
8 Admiralty 3 drum type (oil fired)
29' std. / 32' 6" full
36.730 std.
42,080 full
28 knots
1,422 / 1,511 wartime
2,540 NM @ 27 knots / 14,000 NM @ 10 knots

Armament (design standard for class)
Number Carried
Maximum Range / Ceiling
14"/45 (356mm)

2 quad turrets
1 twin turret
38,560 yards @ 40° (21.9 miles)
1,590 lb. AP shell
Rate of fire 2 RPM

5.25"/50 (134mm)
8 twin turrets
23,400 yards @ 45° (13.2 miles)
AA ceiling 49,000'
80 lb. HE shell
Rate of fire 7-8 RPM

1.575"/39 (40mm)
2 pounder AA
4 octuple mounts
5,000 yards (2.8 miles)
AA ceiling 13,300'
1.81 lb HV shell
Rate of fire 115 RPM

.5"/62 (12.7mm)
AA machine gun
4 quad mounts
5,000 yards (max. effective 800 yards)
Rate of fire 150-200 RPM


Combat Victories
Dec. 26, 1943

Chronology by Lt. Commander Geoffrey B. Mason RN (Rtd)
Aug. 19, 1941:
Commissioned for trials.
Sept. 4, 1941:
Contractor's Sea Trials.
Oct. 1941:

Completion of Sea Trials and outstanding builder's work.
(Note: Low forward sheer found to cause excessive flooding even in moderate sea conditions.)

Nov. 4, 1941:
Build completion and acceptance into service. Passage to Scapa Flow to work-up with Home Fleet. Main body of ship's company joined at Scapa Flow. Commenced Work-up.

Dec. 1941:
Work-up in continuation.
Dec. 10, 1941:

Took passage to Clyde to embark Prime Minister and Defence Staff. Ordered to return
to rejoin Home Fleet after loss of HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse in case of any enemy attempt to pass warships into the Atlantic.

Dec. 11, 1941:
Admiralty rescinded order and took passage from Scapa Flow again.
Dec. 13, 1941:

Embarked Prime Minister and Defence Staff at Greenock for passage to USA for
" ARCADIA " conference with US President and other officials.
(Note: The outcome from ARCADIA was the promulgation of the United Nations
Charter and the establishment of a Joint Anglo-American Chiefs of Staff.)

Dec. 14, 1941:
Passage via SW Approaches in adverse weather conditions.
Dec. 15, 1941:
Destroyer escort was detached in view of need to maintain speed in rough weather.
Dec. 22, 1941:

Arrived at Norfolk , Virginia and passengers disembarked.
(Note: Ship was re-routed during passage to avoid U-Boat positions determined
by ENIGMA decrypts. See HITLER'S U-BOAT WAR, Volume 1 by C Blair.)

Jan. 1942:
Passage to Bermuda for shakedown cruise and exercises in West Indies area.
Jan. 14, 1942:

Deployed at Bermuda to await arrival of Prime Minister and Defence Staff for return passage to UK. Sailed from Bermuda for Scapa Flow when it was known that the passengers were to travel by aircraft.

Jan. 21, 1942:
Arrived at Scapa Flow to resume work-up.
Feb. 1942:

Deployed in Home waters.
(Note: During this period Home Fleet units including HMS KING GEORGE V were sent to Iceland to counter anticipated move of German units to attack Atlantic shipping. An air attack on Tromso was also carried out by HMS VICTORIOUS)

Feb. 28, 1942:

Passage to Hvalfjord to provide cover for passage of convoys to and from North Russia and for interception duties.

Mar. 3, 1942:
Sailed from Hvalfjord to provide cover for Russian Convoy PQ12 and the return
convoy QP8 with HM Battlecruiser RENOWN, HM Cruiser KENYA and screen of six destroyers.

Mar. 6, 1942:

Met HM Battleship KING GEORGE V, HM Aircraft Carrier VICTORIOUS, HM Cruiser BERWICK and destroyer screen to form larger covering force to meet threat of attack by surface ships.
(For details of all Russian Convoy operations with all ships recorded see CONVOYS TO RUSSIA by RA Ruegg, CONVOY! by P Kemp, ARCTIC CONVOYS by R Woodman and THE RUSSIAN CONVOYS by B Schoefield)

Mar. 22, 1942:

Deployed to provide Distant Cover for transit of Russian Convoy PQ13 and return
Cruisers EDINBURGH and KENT with screen of 16 destroyers.
(Note: This convoy had been given additional cover in view of the possible deployment of German battleship TIRPITZ as well as ADMIRAL HIPPER and ADMIRAL SCHEER in Norwegian waters.)

Apr. 10, 1942:

KENT screened by 12 destroyers to provide Distant Cover for transit of Russian Convoys PQ14 to Murmansk and QP10 to Iceland.

Apr. 1942:
Returned to Scapa Flow on release from Distant Cover duties.
May 1942:
Remained at Scapa Flow when Home Fleet major units were providing cover for
passage of Convoys PQ12 and returning QP10.

May 2, 1942:

Passage to join Distant Covering Force for PQ15/QP11 to replace HMS KING GEORGE V which had been seriously damaged on 1st May after a collision with HM Destroyer PUNJABI.
(For details see KGV Class Battleships by VE Tarrant.)

May 5, 1942:

Flag of C-in-C Home Fleet transferred from KGV. Joined US battleship USS WASHINGTON, HMS VICTORIOUS, HMS KENYA, US cruisers TUSCALOOSA and WICHITA screened by 11 RN and 4 US Navy destroyers to provide Distant Cover for transit of Convoys PQ15 and returning QP11.

May 13, 1942:

Remained in northern waters to continue covering duty with HM Cruisers KENT,LIVERPOOL, LONDON, NIGERIA, NORFOLK and HMS VICTORIOUS for return passage of HM Cruiser TRINIDAD after repair at Murmansk.
(Note: HMS TRINIDAD had been damaged by a malfunction of one of her own torpedoes whilst in action against German destroyers seeking to attack Convoy PQ13 in March 1942. See THE SHIP THAT TORPEDOED HERSELF by F Pearce.)

May 14, 1942:
Took passage to Scapa Flow with covering force after HMS TRINIDAD had to abandoned and sunk due to major damage in air attacks.

May 23, 1942:

USS WICHITA screened by 9 RN and 4 USN destroyers to provide Distant Cover for
transit of Convoys PQ16 and QP12.

June 1942:

Passage to Scapa Flow on release from covering duty. Prepared for Royal Visit to Home Fleet at Scapa Flow. Present during visit of HM King George VI who met commanding officers of RN and USN ships on board.

June 1942:

Passage from Scapa Flow with HMS VICTORIOUS, USS WASHINGTON, HM Cruisers CUMBERLAND, NIGERIA and screen of ten RN and two USN destroyers to provide
Distant Cover for transit of Convoy PQ17 and return QP13.

July 4, 1942:

When PQ17 ordered to scatter by Admiralty because of the perceived imminent threat of attack by heavy German warships, ships of Home Fleet were 350 miles east of PQ17 and took no part in the disastrous sequence of events.
by C Barnett and Naval Staff History.)

July 8, 1942:
Flag of C-in-C Home Fleet returned to HMS KING GEORGE V.
Aug. 1942:
Deployed at Scapa Flow. Took passage to Hvalfjord for interception duties.
Sept. 1942:
Deployed at Hvalfjord.
Sept. 9, 1942:
Passage to Akureyri with HM Battleship ANSON for cover of relief of garrison at Spitzbergen (Operation GEARBOX Series) and transit of Convoy PQ18 and returning QP14.

Sept. 11, 1942:

Deployed with HM Battleship ANSON, HM Cruiser JAMAICA, HM Destroyers BRAMHAM, KEPPEL, MACKAY and MONTROSE for Distant Cover duty.

Sept. 14, 1942:

Returned to Iceland.
(Note: Further sailings to Kola Inlet were suspended until December because of transfer of Home Fleet units for support of allied landings in North Africa Operation TORCH)

Sept. 1942:
Passage to Scapa Flow.
Sept. 29, 1942:
Captain George Creasy relieved Captain Harcourt on his promotion to Rear Admiral.
Oct. 1942:
Nominated for support of allied landings in North Africa.
Oct. 30, 1942:

Sailed from Scapa Flow to Gibraltar with HMS NELSON, HMS RODNEY, HM Battlecruiser RENOWN, HM Aircraft Carriers VICTORIOUS, FORMIDABLE and FURIOUS, HM Cruisers ARGONAUT, BERMUDA and SIRIUS screened by 17 destroyers from Home Fleet.

Nov. 5, 1942:

Deployed at Gibraltar for service with ships of Force "H".

Nov. 6, 1942:
Sailed for patrol between Algiers and Bougie after refueling.
Nov. 8, 1942:

Provided cover for landings with HMS RENOWN and HMS RODNEY and carried out patrol to intercept any Vichy French or Italian surface ships attempting to interfere with TORCH landings.
(For details see ENGAGE THE ENEMY MORE CLOSELY and Naval Staff History.)

Nov. 9, 1942:

Patrol deployment in continuation with air cover from HMS VICTORIOUS and under
air attacks.

Nov. 10, 1942:

Under threat of U-Boat attack.
(Note: HM Destroyer MARTIN was sunk in the area.)

Nov. 14, 1942:
Returned to Gibraltar from patrol to refuel.
Nov. 15, 1942:
On release from Force "H" took return passage with HMS VICTORIOUS and destroyer screen to resume Home Fleet duties at Scapa Flow.

Nov. 20, 1942:

Deployed at Scapa Flow with HM Battleships KING GEORGE V, ANSON and HOWE
for interception duties.

Dec. 1942:

Nominated for refit and took passage to Rosyth.
Taken in hand for refit by HM Dockyard.

Jan. 1943:
Under refit until March.
Mar. 1943:
On completion of post refit trials resumed Home Fleet duties at Scapa Flow . Attended HM King George VI visit to the Home Fleet at Scapa Flow.

Apr. 1943:
Deployed at Scapa Flow.
May 14, 1943:
Flag of C-in-C Home Fleet transferred from KGV.
(Note: HMS KING GEORGE V and HOWE were transferred to the Mediterranean for
support of planned allied landings in Sicily. In view of the threat posed by German warships based in Norway US Battleships USS SOUTH DAKOTA and ALABAMA were
made available for detached service with Home Fleet.)

June 1943:

Flagship deployment at Scapa Flow in continuation.
(Note: Admiral Sir Bruce Fraser replaced Admiral Tovey as C-in-C.)

June 8, 1943:
US warships arrived at Scapa Flow.
June 9, 1943:

Deployed with HMS ANSON, USS SOUTH DAKOTA and USS ALABAMA to provide
Distant Cover during relief of Spitzbergen by HM Cruisers CUMBERLAND, BERMUDA
and supply convoy.

June 10, 1943:
Under threat of U-Boat attack.
June 13, 1943:

Returned to Scapa Flow . Passage to Glasgow for visit by new C-in-C.
(Note: Replacement of Type 271M by prototype of new Type 272 to be confirmed.
This equipment is recorded as being used during North Cape battle.)

July 7, 1943:

Deployed with HM Battleships ANSON and MALAYA, USS ALABAMA and USS SOUTH DAKOTA, HMS FURIOUS and seven cruisers screened by eight RN and five USN
destroyers for diversionary operation off Norwegian coast.
(Operation CAMERA - Convoy of miscellaneous ships was deployed to represent a
possible assault force on passage to Norway during the planned landings in Sicily.)

July 9, 1943:
On completion of simulated approaches to coast took passage to return to Scapa Flow.
July 27, 1943:

Deployed with HM Aircraft Carriers ILLUSTRIOUS and UNICORN during air operations
as part of further diversionary operation off Norway (Operation GOVERNOR).

July 29, 1943:

Return passage to Scapa Flow
(Note: Neither diversionary operation met concentrated air attacks since German aircraft based in Norway had been used to reinforce defence against allied operations in the Mediterranean.)

Aug. 1943:

Home Fleet Flagship deployment in continuation at Scapa Flow.

Aug. 1, 1943:
US warships left Home Fleet.
Aug. 11, 1943:
HM King George VI on board during Royal visit to Home Fleet at Scapa Flow.
Aug. 14, 1943:
Took part in demonstrations for HM King by ships of Home Fleet.
Sept. 1943:

Home Fleet Flagship deployment in continuation.

Sept. 8, 1943:

Sailed from Scapa Flow with HMS ANSON and five destroyer screen after reports of bombardment by German warships TIRPITZ and SCHARNHORST at Spitzbergen.

Sept. 9, 1943:
Returned to Scapa Flow when German warships had returned to Altenfjord.
Oct. 1943:
Flagship deployment in continuation at Scapa Flow.
Oct. 2, 1943:

Deployed with HMS ANSON, US Cruiser USS TUSCALOOSA to provide cover for air operations by US Aircraft Carrier RANGER against Norwegian port of Bodo (Operation LEADER).

Oct. 6, 1943:
Returned to Scapa Flow .
Nov. 1943:

Flagship deployment at Scapa Flow in continuation. Captain B Schoefield assumed command.
(Note: Captain Schoefield relieved by Captain the Honourable Guy Russell after three weeks for compassionate reasons.)

Dec. 14, 1943:
Deployed with HM Cruiser JAMAICA screened by HM Destroyers SAVAGE, SCORPION, SAUMAREZ and Norwegian STORD to provide Distant Cover for transit of Russian Convoy JW55A and return RA55.

Dec. 16, 1943:

Arrived at Murmansk with HMS JAMAICA for official visit to the Russian Admiral Arseni Golovko commanding Northern Fleet.
(Note: This was the first visit made by a British battleship to Murmansk.)

Dec. 18, 1943:
Sailed from Murmansk for Akureyri.
Dec. 21, 1943:

Arrived at Akueyri and refueled.

Dec. 22, 1943:

Meeting on board with commanding officers to discuss planned tactics in the event of action against German SCHARNHORST in defence of Convoy JW55B which had left
Loch Ewe on 20th for passage to Kola Inlet.

Dec. 23, 1943:


Dec. 24, 1943:
Exercised planned tactics at sea during passage to protect JW55.
Dec. 25, 1943:
SCHARNHORST reported on passage to attack JW55B.
Dec. 26, 1943:

Force 1 and ships of Force 2.
(For full details of the Battle of North Cape see KGV CLASS BATTLESHIPS by VE Tarrant, DEATH OF THE SCHARNHORST by J Winton, and Naval Staff History)

SCHARNHORST sank at 1945 after extensive gun and torpedo hits in position
72.16N 28.41E with a loss of 1,767 men. Only 36 survived and were rescued by
(Note: Defects made evident in both HMS PRINCE OF WALES and in HMS KING GEORGE V during the May 1941 BISMARCK action deprived the ship of maximum offensive capability. See references)

Dec. 27, 1943:

Arrived at Kola Inlet to refuel and visited by Soviet officers who made a presentation of a fur coat and hat (of questionable quality!) Embarked German survivors.

Dec. 28, 1943:

Took passage to Scapa Flow.

Dec. 31, 1943:

Arrived at Scapa Flow to tumultuous welcome by ships of Home Fleet.

Jan. 1, 1944:
Christmas Day Routine.
Jan. 16, 1944:

Under repair at Rosyth by HM Dockyard.
(Note: The majority of damage had been caused by Blast effects of the armament and weather on structure. See references.)

Feb. 1944:
Resumed Home Fleet Flagship duties on completion of repair work.
Mar. 30, 1944:

Deployed with HMS ANSON, HMS VICTORIOUS, HM Escort Carriers EMPEROR,
SEARCHER PURSUER and FENCER, HM Cruisers JAMAICA, SHEFFIELD, ROYALIST and BELFAST with 14 destroyers of Home Fleet as screen to provide distant cover for
passage of Russian Convoy's JW58 return RA58 together with air attacks on German battleship TIRPITZ in Altenfjord, Norway.

Apr. 3, 1944:

Provided cover during air strikes.
(Note: Hits by BARRACUDA aircraft caused significant damage to structure and upper deck equipment of enemy ship but no bombs penetrated armoured belt. See CONVOY! by P Kemp.)

Apr. 4, 1944:
Further air operations cancelled due to weather and took passage to Scapa Flow.
Apr. 6, 1944:

Arrived at Scapa Flow .
(Note: Did not take part in cover during further air attacks on 26th Operation PLANET)

May 1944:
Fleet Flagship duties at Scapa Flow in continuation.
May 6, 1944:
General Montgomery visited ship.
May 10, 1944:
Present during visit to Home Fleet by HM King George VI who visited ship.
June 1944:
Deployed at Scapa Flow.
June 16, 1944:

Admiral Fraser succeeded by Admiral Moore as C-in-C Home Fleet.
(Note: The departure of HMS ANSON for refit left this ship as the only modern
battleship in commission in Home Waters.)

July 1944:
Flagship deployment at Scapa Flow in continuation.
July 14, 1944:
Sailed from Scapa Flow with HM Aircraft Carriers INDEFATIGABLE, FORMIDABLE, FURIOUS to carry out fourth series of air attacks on TIRPITZ.
(Operation MASCOT - See above reference.)

July 17, 1944:

Air attacks carried out unobserved due to smoke screen and fog.
Passage to Scapa Flow with ships of Force.

Aug. 1944:

Nominated for service as Flagship, British Pacific Fleet after refit.
Flagship duties at Scapa Flow in continuation.

Aug. 18, 1944:

Sailed from Scapa Flow for last Home Fleet operation and final RN air attacks on TIRPITZ (Operation GOODWOOD)
(Note: This Home Fleet deployment was coincident with transit of Russian Convoy
JW59 and returning RA59)

NABOB, TRUMPETER, HM Cruisers BERWICK and DEVONSHIRE screened by 14 Home
Fleet destroyers and provided with anti-submarine protection by frigates of 20th Escort Group from Western Approaches Command.

Aug. 20, 1944:

Air attacks postponed because of weather conditions.

Aug. 22, 1944:

Air attacks commenced.
(Note: These were not successful and only two hits reported)

Aug. 29, 1944:

During U-Boat attacks HMS NABOB was hit and sustained damage which was never repaired on return to UK.
(Note: Lack of success resulted in use of RAF bombers for future attacks)

Sept. 1944:

Returned to Scapa Flow with Fleet units. Captain AD Nicholl assumed command.
Visited by HM King George VI at Scapa Flow prior to Paying-off. Passage to Liverpool
for refit by Cammell Laird at Gladstone Dock, Liverpool.
Paid off and taken in hand for refit.

Oct. 1944:
Under refit until Feb. 1945. Work done included:
Aircraft Warning Radar Type 281 replaced by 281B which needed only one mast for its aerial.

Surface Warning Radar Type 273 Prototype replaced by 293 and Type 277 which had a height finding capability for aircraft.

New radar display equipment fitted for these outfits.

Forward Main armament Fire-control Radar Type 284 replaced by Type 274 and second Type 274 fitted aft for control of "Y" mounting.

Barrage control radar equipment was also fitted and additional Type 282 radar for new close range weapons aft.

Aircraft facilities were removed and additional close AA weapons added.

Feb. 1945:

Re-commissioned for service in Pacific Fleet. Commanding Officer Captain D Nicoll.

Mar. 1945:
Completion of shipyard work and harbour trials.
Mar. 27, 1945:
Visited by HM King George VI and HM Queen Elizabeth at Liverpool.
Apr. 1945:
Post Refit sea trials and shakedown.
Apr. 5, 1945:
Passage to Scapa Flow .
Apr. 25, 1945:
Sailed from Scapa Flow with HMS ANSON to join BPF as Flagship.
May 1945:
Carried out exercises and trials in Mediterranean.
May 2, 1945:
Arrived in Malta.
May 3, 1945:
Under repair by HM Dockyard for major electrical defect.
May 27, 1945:
Carried out gunnery firings off Mersa Matruh during work-up after repair work.
May 28, 1945:
Suez Canal transit.
June 8, 1945:
At Colombo, Ceylon.
June 19, 1945:
Crossing the Line ceremonials.
June 24, 1945:
Arrived at Fremantle, Australia.
June 26, 1945:
Visited Albany, Western Australia.
July 1, 1945:
Arrived at Sydney to prepare for service with US Fleet as part of Task Force 37 for operations off Japan under overall US Command.

July 4, 1945:

Entertained US visitors at reception on Independence Day.

July 11, 1945:
HRH The Duke of Gloucester, Governor General of Australia visited ship.
July 31, 1945:

Sailed from Sydney for Forward Base at Manus, Admiralty Is. escorted by
HM Destroyers WAGER and WHELP.

Aug. 3, 1945:
Arrived at Manus.
Aug. 6, 1945:

Flag of Admiral Fraser, C-in-C BPF hoisted at Manus.

Aug. 7, 1945:
Took Passage to Guam for meetings with staff of US C-in-C Pacific Fleet, Admiral Chester Nimitz.

Aug. 9, 1945:
Arrived at Guam escorted by HM Destroyers WAGER and WHELP.
Aug. 10, 1945:

Fleet Admiral Nimitz invested with Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath by
Admiral Fraser on behalf of HM King George VI.

Aug. 12, 1945:

Task Force 37 ships of British Pacific Fleet, except a Token Force, to be withdrawn from the operational area because of lack of fuel from British sources.
(For details see WAR WITH JAPAN (HMSO), THE FORGOTTEN FLEET by J Winton,
TASK FORCE 57 by P Smith, and Naval Staff History.)

Aug. 13, 1945:
Took passage from Guam with HMS WAGER and HMS WHELP to join US 3rd Fleet
including ships of BPF in operational area.

Aug. 18, 1945:

Deployed with ships of Token Force (Task Group 38.5) with Task Force 38 for support operations to recover POW's and allied nationals.
Replenished from Logistic Support Group of Task Force 112 (Fleet Train).

Aug. 23, 1945:

Re-designated with HMS WAGER and HMS WHELP as Task Group 30.2 for entry into Japanese waters.
(Note: Remainder of Task Group 38.5 were redesignated Task Force 37.)

Aug. 27, 1945:
Anchored in Sagami Wan prior to formal surrender ceremony in Tokyo Bay.
Aug. 29, 1945:
Passage to Tokyo Bay after mine clearance operations.
Sept. 2, 1945:

Present in Tokyo Bay during formal surrender of Japan.
(Note: Admiral Fraser signed the formal instrument of surrender and this ceremony
was attended by representatives of the BPF.)

Sept. 5, 1945:
Reverted to RN control.
Sept. 9, 1945:
Passage from Tokyo Bay to Hong Kong with call at Okinawa.
Sept. 14, 1945:
Arrived at Hong Kong with C-in-C.
Sept. 16, 1945:

Formal surrender ceremony.
(Note: Rear Admiral CJ Harcourt, former captain of ship, signed for Great Britain in his capacity as C-in-C Hong Kong and Head of Administration, Admiral Fraser as C-in-C BPF attended as an observer.)

Sept. 21, 1945:

Sailed for Sydney with call at Manila to refuel.

Oct. 1945:
Passage to Sydney.
Oct. 9, 1945:
Arrived at Sydney.
Nov. 1945:
At Sydney.
Nov. 3, 1945:
Sailed from Sydney for visit to Tasmania.
Nov. 21, 1945:
Arrived at Sydney from Norfolk Bay, Tasmania.
Dec. 1, 1945:
Took passage from Sydney for Hong Kong with calls at Fremantle, Christmas Island
and Singapore.

Dec. 7, 1945:
At Fremantle.
Dec. 14, 1945:
At Singapore.
Dec. 21, 1945:

Arrived at Hong Kong after passage in extreme weather during which the First Lieutenant, Lieut. Cdr. May, RN was swept overboard with several other men from cable party during work to secure anchors. All the men were saved except the First Lieutenant.

Dec. 26, 1945:
1,200 of ship's company were landed as part of KENNEDY FORCE, the temporary
garrison of the Colony, pending the arrival of the Army and relieved the naval
personnel landed from HM Battleship ANSON when the Japanese surrendered.

Jan. 1946:

At Hong Kong.
(Note: Admiral Fraser raised to Peerage.)

Jan. 17, 1946:
Sailed from Hong Kong for Flag Visit to Amoy .
Jan. 21, 1946:

Returned to Hong Kong.

Feb. 1946:
At Hong Kong.
Feb. 19, 1946:

Took part in exercises off Hong Kong which included US Navy ships.

Mar. 1946:

At Hong Kong.

Mar. 10, 1946:

Admiral Fraser and staff left ship
(Note: BPF was being administered from Hong Kong pending transfer of Headquarters from Sydney.)

Mar. 11, 1946:
Passage from Hong Kong for visit to Japan.
Mar. 15, 1946:
At Nagasaki, Japan.
Mar. 16, 1946:
At Kagoshima, Japan.
Mar. 19, 1946:

At Kure, Japan.
(Note: British Commonwealth Base was at Kure and later used by RN and Commonwealth warships during the Korean War. Visits to Hiroshima to see results of Atom Bomb attack were arranged.)

Mar. 26, 1946:

At Yokohama, Japan.
(Note: Ships company able to visit Tokyo which had been extensively damaged by
allied bombing.)

Mar. 27, 1946:
Took passage to Sydney.
Apr. 1946:
Passage in Pacific.
Apr. 10, 1946:
At Sydney for routine docking and leave.
May 1946:
At Sydney.
May 15, 1946:
Sailed from Sydney for Hong Kong.
May 29, 1946:
Arrived at Hong Kong.
June 7, 1946:
Admiral Lord Fraser embarked for passage to Singapore.
June 11, 1946:
Arrived at Singapore. Admiral Lord Fraser relieved as C-in-C BPF by Admiral Sir Denis Boyd. Sailed from Singapore to UK with Admiral Lord Fraser embarked.

June 18, 1946:
Sailed from Colombo, Ceylon.
June 28, 1946:
Sailed from Port Said, Egypt with calls at Malta and Gibraltar.
July 8, 1946:

Passage from Gibraltar to Plymouth.

July 11, 1946:

Arrived at Plymouth.
(Note: Ship has steamed 58,413 miles since leaving Scapa Flow in April 1945.)

Post war:

HMS DUKE OF YORK was deployed as Home Fleet Flagship until 1949 when she became Flagship of the Reserve Fleet for two years and reduced to Reserve status in November 1951. The ship was laid-up in the Gareloch until 1957 when she was placed on the Disposal List. Sold to BISCO for demolition by Shipbreaking Industries she arrived at Faslane on 18th February 1958.

© 2005 Lt. Commander Geoffrey B. Mason RN (Rtd)
(Reprinted with the permission of the author)
Provided by
Battle Honours:

North Africa 1942 / Arctic 1942-43 / North Cape 1943

Christened by HM Queen Elizabeth.
Ship's motto: Honi soit qui mal y pense: "Shame to him who thinks evil of it"

Builder's Data
Page revised Aug. 24, 2007