1. Joint Service Designation for a Vertical aircraft. (Example: V-22 Osprey)
2. Prefix used on existing Joint Service designated aircraft, for Staff. (Example: VC-137)
Navy designation for an Attack Squadron.
(Acronym) Vulcan Air Defense System. The M-163 20mm Gatling Gun, with 2,100 rounds.
1. (Squadron Nickname) VMF-225, that flew the F4U Corsair, during WWII.
2. (Squadron Nickname) VMF-324 that operated the F4U Corsair, in WWII.
3. (Squadron Nickname) VF-84, before they became the “Jolly Rogers”.
(Allied Codename) Japanese Aichi D3A, Dive Bomber.
Valencia’s Flying Circus-
A group of Navy pilots flying from the USS Essex, during World War II, who shot down 50 Japanese aircraft between them. They were Lt. James B. French; Lt. Harris E. Mitchell; Lt (jg) Clinton L. Smith and
Lt. Eugene A. Valencia, all flying the Grumman F6F Hellcat.
The Vultee BT-13, Basic Training aircraft of World War II.
(Squadron Nickname) VA/VFA-15, that flew the A-4 Skyhawk & currently the F/A-18 Hornet.
The North American XB-70, Mach 3 high altitude bomber.
(Codeword) Anti-Ship Missile.
1. (Squadron Nickname) VX-9, that operated the F-4 Phantom II, F-14 Tomcat, & currently the F/A-18 Hornet. Their claim to fame is the discontinued black jet with the white playboy bunny sporting on its tail (Vandy-1). The tradition was not carried over to the F/A-18.
2. (Squadron Nickname) 44th Fighter Squadron, that operates the F-15 Eagle.
Night Refueling Operations, onboard a KC-10 during Operation: Deliberate Force over Bosnia.
Navy designation for an Electronic Attack Squadron. (See: Queer)
(Nickname) General Dynamics F-111 Aardvark.
The 9th Infantry Division, that served in Europe during World War II, and during the Vietnam War.
(Short) Variable Depth Sonar.
Victory in Europe Day, 2 July, 1945.
The Vultee A-35 dive-bomber of World War II.
Navy designation for a Fighter Squadron
Navy designation for a Fighter Attack Squadron
Victory in Japan Day, 2 September, 1945.
(Nickname) Vultee BT-13 Valiant.
1. The 24th Infantry Division, that saw service in World War II (in the Pacific), the Korean War, and during the Persian Gulf War.
2. The 95th Infantry Division, that served in Europe in World War II.
3. The 5th Armored Division, that served in Europe in World War II.
The V (5th) Corps.
The Vultee L-1 Liaison aircraft, of World War II.
(Squadron Nickname) HT-18, that flies the TH-57 Sea Ranger.
The North American A-5, carrier based Nuclear Bomber/Reconnaissance jet.
(Squadron Nickname) VF/VFA-151, that flew the F-4 Phantom II & currently the F/A-18 Hornet.
(Nickname) North American A-5 Vigilante.
The Lockheed S-3, Anti-Submarine Warfare aircraft.
1. (Squadron Nickname) VMF/VMA/VMFA-225, that operated the F4U Corsair, AD Skyraider, A-4 Skyhawk,
A-6 Intruder, and currently the F/A-18 Hornet. They saw service during the Vietnam War.
2. (Squadron Nickname) VAQ-129, that operates the EA-6 Prowler.
(Squadron Nickname) 960th AACS, that flies the E-3 Sentry.
(Nickname) General Joseph Stillwell.
1. (Nickname) General Dynamics/Lockheed F-16 Fighting Falcon.
2. The Thomas-Morse XP-13 bi-plane fighter of the early 1930’s.
1. (Squadron Nickname) 912th Air Refueling Squadron, that flies the KC-135.
2. (Squadron Nickname) HSL-48, that operates the SH-60 Sea Hawk.
3. (Squadron Nickname) HMLA-169, which operates the UH-1 Iroquois & the AH-1 Cobra.
Navy designation for Marine Attack Squadron.
Navy designation for Marine Bombing Squadron.
Navy designation for Marine Fighting Squadron.
Navy designation for Marine Fighter Attack Squadron.
Navy designation for Marine Observation Squadron.
Navy designation for Marine Photo Reconnaissance Squadron.
Navy designation for Marine Airlift Squadron.
Navy designation for Marine Scout Bomber Squadron.
Navy designation for Marine Torpedo Bomber Squadron.
The 30th Armored Division. Tennessee National Guard.
(Nickname) Douglas C-47, during World War II.
1. The McDonnell XF-88, Interceptor.
2. The McDonnell F-101/RF-101 Interceptor and Photo Reconnaissance aircraft. An updated version of the
Navy designation for a Patrol Squadron.
Navy designation for an Electronic Warfare Squadron.
Navy designation for a Airlift Squadron.
1. Navy designation for a Scouting Squadron. Before 1945
2. Navy designation for an Anti-Submarine Squadron.
1. Navy designation for a Training Squadron.
2. Navy designation for a Torpedo Squadron. Before 1945.
(Acronym) Vertical Take Off and Landing.
(Nickname) Vultee BT-13 Valiant.
Navy designation for an Experimental Squadron.