On Dec. 8, 1902 the 239' 1,341 ton cargo ship Parthenon sailed from
Novorossiysk, Russia for Cephalonia
(Kefaloni) Island, Greece with twenty-two crewmen and six passengers, she never made port. She had
been built in Sunderland, England in 1877 by Bartram, Haswell & Company and was originally owned by
Anderson & Horan also of Sunderland. She was later sold to Diamantidis & Son of Greece.
She was sighted on Dec. 18 off the coast of Turkey by a passing steamer, but came to grief shortly thereafter.
About Dec. 21 lifeboats from the Parthenon washed up on the Asiatic side of the Bosporus, but they yielded
no clues as to what became of the ship. It is still unknown what caused the loss of the ship and all in her.